Monday, June 14, 2010

Daily Nugget #4: Animal Collective, "What Would I Want? Sky"

Animal Collective have turned out to be one of the best bands of the last decade. Their earliest records are noisy and a little diffuse, but their soundcraft and writing have gotten catchier while continuing to be pretty wildly experimental. Some of their stuff sounds a little too woolly and woozy, but their basic ingredients (loops, layers, distorted samples, yipping and yelping, hootenanny tribalism, post-drum-circle rhythms), while potentially annoying when pried out of context, contribute to a whole greater than the sum of the individual parts. I recently saw their weirdo music video/art installation/acid horror flick ODDSAC, and it messed with my cerebral cortex. In a good way.

This track, from their Fall Be Kind EP, samples the Dead's "Unbroken Chain" (Who samples the Grateful Dead?!? Seriously?!). The sample features the voice of Phil Lesh, my musical god-uncle (we share the same birthday). This was my favorite song of 2009.

Hint: Hunt down the lyrics.

"What Would I Want? Sky":

No comments:

Post a Comment